Friday, June 24, 2005

I Can't Say Much . . .

I've had an abysmal week, partly because of my Internet connection - the Verizon service I've been trying to connect to for six weeks didn't work out - and partly for other reasons I'd rather not get into. I was told as a youngster that if you can't say anything nice about something, you shouldn't say anything at all. So I'm saying nothing about this week.
I shouldn't say anything at all about George W. Bush, by that same standard, but so what? Bush prodded Iran to embrace democracy and reject hardline theocracy in their presidential election. This, in turn, led reactionary Islamist voters to turn out in droves for their candidate, the mayor of Tehran (whose name I won't even guess at how to spell), in defiance of Bush. He won a place last week in the runoff election, which, er, he just won. This means Iran will become more socially repressive than even we are. Nice going, George! :-p

No comments: