Saturday, September 16, 2017

No Way - Jose?

Hurricane Jose, after spinning aimlessly in the North Atlantic for a week, is moving again, and it's heading toward the American Northeast.
Jose was expected to move north and then head out to sea, but the chances of it being just a fish storm are now small and diminishing with each passing advisory from the National Hurricane Center.  Computer projections have pushed the storm closer to the coast by September 19 or 20, and while there's no evidence that it will make landfall in the New York City Tri-State area, it will comethisclose to it, pushing waves against the shore even with the center a couple hundred miles away.
We in the Greater New York area can't even look at the bright side of Jose weakening and likely falling apart from being over cooler waters at or around forty degrees latitude north.  That, according to The Weather Channel, is only going to expand the wind field and possibly bring tropical-storm-force winds well inland, even where I live.
There are no watches or warnings yet, and the forecast, as I type this, calls for showers and inconsequential winds where I live.  But all it takes is for the track of the storm to nudge just a little to the west for Greater New York to get Sandy Mark Two.  
I'm not going to rest easy in the meantime.  It's been like this all week.  Just when I think I can rest easy, another computer projection shows the storm  as a greater threat to not just the Greater New York area but also to coastal New England.   And to add insult to injury, Jose isn't going to head out to sea and dissipate after it passes through the waters off the American Northeast.  First the Euro, now the GFS, both have it looping around in a big circle - like a car on the Capital Belaway around Washington - and possibly heading back toward the North American mainland.  The Euro even has it merging with . . . another tropical storm!  Jose is the storm that won't go away.
Needless to say, I might have to deal with Power Outage #42 in a few days, and I may have to shut down my blog - maybe even take down my current Music Video Of the Week early, since any outage  I get might last beyond this coming Friday (September 22) - and computer projections show another storm, a storm that hasn't even formed yet, after that.
Stay tuned.  I may be around.      

No comments: