Monday, May 4, 2015

Kent State - 45 Years Later

I won't do much more than acknowledge today's anniversary of the Kent State University shootings on May 4, 1970, during an anti-Vietnam War protest at that Ohio public higher-learning institution,  in which students Jeffrey Glenn Miller 20; Allison B. Krause, 19; William Knox Schroeder, 19, and; Sandra Lee Scheuer, 20, as I vented about it pretty effectively in my post about it  from five years ago today.   But I will include this quote from the father of Allison Krause, responding to President Richard Nixon's characterization of antiwar demonstrators as "bums":  
"Look, I had a daughter and now she is dead. May her death be on [Nixon's] back. [My daughter] resented being called a bum because she disagreed with someone else's opinion. Is this a crime? Is this a reason for killing her? Have we come to such a state in this country that a young girl has to be shot because she disagrees deeply with the actions of her government?"
As always, remember today the fourth of May. 


No comments: