Wednesday, September 18, 2013

I Got Ed

I didn't expect it to happen.
MSNBC's Ed Schultz takes questions from viewers ever day on his Facebook and Twitter pages and, after receiving thousands of them, answers two of them on the air.  This time, he answered my question!
I asked Ed yesterday what sort of impact a electoral victory by Democratic mayoral nominee Bill de Blasio this November would have on the progressive movement nationwide.  I later got a reply saying that Ed Schultz would use my question on the air.  And at 5:30 PM Eastern, he did not disappoint, showing my question and even using my name in the on-air graphic!  


As for his answer, Ed Schultz said it would have a tremendous impact on the progressive movement in this country, simply because it would single a desire among the people for change - New York City is home to 8.3 million people, it's more populous than 39 states, and it represents a cross-section of Americans - and that it would have a tremendous impact on how we talk about issues such as income equality, health care, and housing, among other things.
Later that evening, Ed talked with an Occupy Wall Street (remember them?) activist in recognition of the second anniversary of the movement.  De Blasio's name came up, and Ed Schultz said, "You know, we just got a question this evening about Bill de Blasio . . ."  The two men agreed that de Blasio would have a national platform as mayor of New York to give voice to the left and to "the other 99 percent."
So there you have it - my fifteen seconds of fame! :-)  

No comments: