Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Out With the Old

I'm ending a mostly disappointing year. Things didn't work out as I hoped - probably because I hoped against hope that I could accomplish a few things the economy and unfavorable odds rendered virtually impossible.
I started the year hoping to write an article on someone who lives near me - this person is of some notoriety but I won't say who it is - but my plans fell through. The person I wanted to write about decided not to agree to the idea. Although I finished work for my editing certificate from New York University, I haven't been able to find a job with it. I also wrote a play that turned out to be mediocre; I'm not getting back to it any time soon. I also started a blog tutoring service based on the blogging workshops I've done for my writer's group. How many clients have I had? Zero! Also, I ended my volunteer work for a dance company when I decided I wasn't really needed, and a woman I'd been courting told me to get lost - long story.
And I don't even want to talk about my car.
But there have been bright spots. I edit review articles for AllAboutJazz.com, a jazz Web site, thus gaining me some editing experience. I also made friends with some wonderful people through Facebook, and my life is so much happier because of it. So I guess 2009 is off to a good start . . . for 2010.
Maybe things will keep getting better next year . . .

No comments: