Monday, October 14, 2024

All News, All the Time

It's the only television I watch.

I can't be bothered with any of the new sitcoms and dramas that have premiered in the 2024-25 season, and I can't even name one.  As for other shows that have returned from the previous season, well, I haven't watched any of them either.  For the past several months, with the exception of the odd PBS documentary, I have only watched the news programs on MSNBC - mainly Nicolle Wallace, Lawrence O'Donnell, Jen Psaki (whom I must put on my beautiful-women picture blog), Katie Phang (ditto), and the Reverend Al Sharpton, as well as "The Weekend."  I keep watching for any good news, no matter how thin a sliver it may be, about the Harris campaign at a time when pundits are second-guessing her and critiquing her outreach efforts toward the voters she needs to win in November.  

I can't stop watching the news and analyzing the polls for as long as I remain unsure of how the election will turn out.  It's all about the campaign.  I don't even have time to watch the BBC News America report weeknights on PBS.  If I learn of any famous celebrity deaths, it's usually on the Internet, and I probably learned about more celebrity passings than I would have if I were still watching the PBS NewsHour.  

Why am I torturing myself like this?  Because I want to know if I get tortured by the Trump 47 administration if such an administration actually comes to pass.  See, I've been on my own since January.  I had a lot of plans for my life after I ended up on my own, but apart from adopting two kittens, I haven't realized them.  I'm in a holding pattern as I watch the latest news on the 2024 presidential election because, if Trump wins, it's game over as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, I still think it.  Trump will not only make himself a dictator if re-elected, he'll set up a system to opporess, incarcerate, and, yes, execute anyone who opposes him.  First he'll come for the press and the pundits, then he'll come for Democrats, then he'll come for state and local governments to root out anti-MAGA public officeholders, and eventually - perhaps somewhere in between - he'll come for bloggers who have spoken out against him.

That would include me.  

I can't make any long-term plans if living in a free and democratic America is a short-term deal.  I can't plan a trip to Europe for 2025, because either Trump will make emigration illegal or because I might have to plan on doing more than just visiting Europe.  I have to get ready to leave the country if necessary, and what research I've done in how to do that does not reassure me.  It can be so difficult that I might have to stay in America.  And if Trump is back in office, it will be an America where MSNBC is off the air. 

It shouldn't be hard for the Trump 47 authorities to find me.   In my area, there are numerous Trump lawn signs, and I put a Harris sign outside my door as a sign of defiance.

And I'm sure there will be many an informer to aid the Trump secret police to root out the rot.
I am probably a dead man already.  😱

No comments: