Wednesday, January 1, 2020

America 2020 - The End

I expect the United States to receive the final, fatal blow to its very being this year.  There's no getting around it. Climate change is making the world uninhabitable, but for a country like this one, where civilized society is already impossible thanks to our tawdry, throwaway culture, that goes double.  And of course, this country is officially on record as refusing to do anything about it.  We certainly don't want to change our behavior to slow the pace of climate change.  If Africa was the mother of humankind, America is the child who went bad.  
An because of climate change, I am actually quite confident that the year 2020 will produce a storm that will literally hit home.  Two almanacs see a hurricane threat for the American Northeast; I am seriously expecting this prediction to come true and I expect this second storm in the past decade to be worse than Sandy.
Meanwhile, this country is full of racial strife and gender division, as hate crimes keep proliferating at an alarming rate.   Especially thanks to our gun laws, the only liberal things that the reactionaries who run this country with an iron fist in a lead glove will allow.
Expect Trump to be re-elected President.  The economy is doing too well for him to lose and, as I've noted before, American voters vote their pocketbooks and not their conscience.   Also, I increasingly fail to see any Democrat who has enough of a clue to defeat him this November.  Expect more Trump-appointed conservative judges to join the bench and make America a meaner and nastier place to live for the the next three or four decades, a period I call the rest of my life.
Everyone is telling me to stand up and fight what's wrong with America and make it right.  Yeah, sure.  Come on.  War's over.  We lost.  Deal with it.   
I'm not wishing anyone a happy new year.  I have no heart to lie. :-(   

No comments: