Tuesday, December 21, 2004

What Career?

I'm still looking for a better job, but it looks like I'm stuck with what I have for the foreseeable future - a retail job, meaning low pay, inconsistent hours, and lots of standing. It's infuriating to think I can't do any better.
I've never been any good at setting career goals, either. It would be pretty hard to come up with a specific moment to demonstrate my inability to concentrate on a career path and my overall lack of ambition. Nevertheless, I think this particular moment from third grade comes close. One day, my teacher wanted us students to write a paragraph on what we wanted to be when we grew up. A girl named Lisa, whom I had a crush on (like Alvy Singer, Woody Allen's character in Annie Hall, I never had a latency period), said she wanted to be a ballet dancer and wrote about that. What did I do? I wrote that I wanted to grow up to be the guy who marries the ballet dancer.
I don't remember exactly what happened, but I don't think I got a good grade. :-O

No comments: