Friday, December 3, 2004

Ken Jennings, "Jeopardy" Champion

For those of you wondering, yes, I started my second draft on my article on performance artist Claire Elizabeth Barratt - finally. I hated how the first draft came out - so much, in fact, I couldn't look at for nearly two weeks. But I've resumed work on the article, and it's beginning to take shape. (I told you not to expect a true hiatus from this blog!)
In the meantime, I have to comment on Ken Jennings, the computer software engineer from Utah (yes, he's a Mormon) who ended the longest winning streak on "Jeopardy" this past Tuesday and walked away with $2.5 million in prize money, the largest amount in game show history. (His church elders should be asking for their quarter million soon - the tithing thing, you know.) After Jennings had dominated the show since June 2, he failed to give the question "What is H&R Block?" to a tricky answer Tuesday night, and he lost to California contestant Nancy Zerg, an actress-turned-real estate agent. (She must have some interesting stories!) Ironically, Zerg herself was dethroned as the defending "Jeopardy" champion the following night.
In addition to his winnings, Ken Jennings gets a consolation prize for his wrong question - free tax preparation from H&R Block for the rest of his life. Which, given the Latter-day Saints' knack for living to nearly a hundred, should be a long and healthy business relationship.
So I guess Mormons aren't dumb after all. :-D

No comments: