Saturday, August 14, 2004

Let The Games Begin

The Olympics in Athens are underway as I write. Before I get to the highlights I've seen so far, I would like to take this opportunity to state that I am the official fan of the 2004 Olympics!
You got a problem with that? }:-( I didn't think so!
Anyway . . . NBC has so far shown women's beach volleyball, and Americans Holly McPeak and Elaine Youngs won their first two matches against Norway. I dunno. . . they say figure skating in the Winter Games is the closest you can come to sex in the Olympics, but these folks obviously never watched women's beach volleyball - skimpy swimsuits and all. I'm sure the men will provide a similar lift for the female viewers.
In women's 3-meter-board synchronized diving, the Americans had been eliminated from competition before the Games, but NBC, surprisingly, showed it anyway. The Chinese won the gold medal, followed by the Russians taking the silver and the Australians winning the bronze. One of the German competitors stood out not with her diving (which was pretty good), but for an ugly tattoo on her arm! :-O The Chinese were consistently flawless, and they deserved the gold.
Now showing, as I type: women's volleyball, United States versus China. Wow, there sure a lot of empty seats in the arena. . .makes me wish I'd gone - I could have gotten tickets cheap!
If you don't want to know whether Michael Phelps won his first gold medal in the men's 400-meter individual medley, don't read any further. It'll be shown tonight. If you do want to know. . . .
He did! I heard it on the radio coming home.
(In other news, Tropical Storm Charley is coming tonight. I hope it doesn't knock out the power - I want to watch more of the Games! I mean, I am the official fan and all - you better not have a problem with that!)

No comments: