Saturday, July 31, 2004

Things You Can't Get Out Of

I had a bad dream last night in which Bush brought back the draft but called it something else, so no one would actually think the draft returned. It was euphemistically referred to as "voluntary duty," or something like that. Anyway, I got called up and was told that I'd be assigned to Iraq or South Korea, which was fearing an invasion from the North. Because it wasn't technically a "draft," I thought I could get out of it, but my mother told me there was nothing I could do. :-(
Why did I have a dream like that? Probably because, in addition to talk about bringing back the draft, I got called for jury duty - I'm scheduled to report on August 11 - and I wish I could get out of it. (Then again, I do work for a law firm now - the job is going fine, thank you very much - so maybe I can get out of it for that.)

No comments: