Wednesday, June 9, 2004

Reagan Memorials

As I write, Ronald Reagan's casket is lying in state at the Capitol Rotunda, and members of the mainstream media are looking back with touching remembrance in form or another - mostly in the form of Reagan's favorite vernacular, anecdotes. Only on PBS's "The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer" has anyone dared to say anything remotely critical of Reagan's legacy - Roger Wilkins, the esteemed historian and civil rights leader who complained, more in sorrow than in anger, about Reagan's abandonment of the poor on Monday.
Meanwhile, two writers, Jimmy Guterman and James Kunstler, have elected not to hold their criticisms of Reagan until after Friday's funeral. To find out exactly what they said, just go to either the Guterman blog or the Kunstler blog for their comments. As for me, I'm still holding my tongue before I offer my thoughts on Reagan in public, but it ain't easy.

No comments: