Thursday, May 13, 2004

London Dreaming

Last night I had a very realistic dream which, as you can guess, involved neither Oprah Winfrey nor Jennifer Aniston. :-D
I dreamed that my mother, my sister Erin, and I flew to London for a vacation. (Erin is actually married, but never mind.) As the plane was heading out over the open water, I looked out the window and saw the outline of Sandy Hook, a peninsula that juts out from the point in New Jersey where the Raritan Bay meets the Atlantic Ocean. (Hi, Pete, I'm just explaining the geography for folks who don't know anything about the area!)
We flew to London, got off the plane, and signed in at Customs. Before we went to our hotel, we strolled through London's magnificent Westminster section and stopped at a tourist information center, where Mom went to get some brouchures. As Erin and I waited outside, I turned on a portable radio and got BBC Radio 2, and I was happy to listen to decent radio for a change (American commercial radio is crap).
Just then, I woke up. Rats - just when my London trip was getting started!
In real life, my mother and I have been talking about going to Italy this year. (My mother can't be bothered with England.) The operative word here is "talking"; we haven't done much planning. Indecision, uncertainty about the future, and the mere thought of a long, nasty transatlantic flight have hampered our will to go far beyond that. We might end up going somewhere a little more convenient.
Someplace like Sandy Hook.

No comments: