Sunday, January 25, 2004

Deneuve Of a Purpose

As I've already reported, I now belong to a Yahoo group devoted to Catherine Deneuve. It's been an interesting experience so far; most of the members are women, and they tend to speak of the famed French actress in rather sentimental terms. Which makes sense, since female Deneuve fans want to emulate their idol. I elected to get messages added to the board via e-mail, which has led to me getting about forty or fifty such messages in one day! It takes me forever to read them all.
The sentimentality of these messages, though, is beginning to irk me somewhat. I'm just someone who thinks Catherine Deneuve is the most beautiful woman in the world and a great actress, but these ladies go one step further, worshiping her in a way I never could - they treat her like she's a goddess from Mount Olympus! Right now they're talking about sending Mademoiselle Deneuve a Valentine's Day message from everyone on the board (they actually found her mail address!), and they're even writing some highly symbolically sentimental poetry for this message, the kind of poetry that makes Jimmy Carter's attempt at verse read like Robert Frost by comparison. I guess it's up to me to be the cynic among the group members, trying to keep them grounded. Hey, I love Catherine Deneuve as much as the next guy (note - I said "the next guy"), but this peculiarly feminine, Lifetime-Oprah-style adulation isn't exactly my cup of tea. But I'm staying. :-)
(I have a lot more to say on other matters, but I have to get off now.)

No comments: