Thursday, March 1, 2018

Un . . . Deux . . . Trois . . . Book Signing!

The ongoing follies in the Washington and the Winter Olympics in PyeongChang distracted me from practically everything else, but I'm here today with something different . . . an account of a social event I went to in New York City back in January.
My friend Shanti Patty Owen, a former model and also an occasional actress, was one of the most sought-after models of the late 1970s and early 1980s.  Known for her fierce, fearless look, she's really a lovable sweetheart.  But life wasn't always glamour and sweetness for Shanti; she dealt with a sexual obsession that turned into an addiction that led to the most sordid lifestyle one could possibly imagine.  She has chronicled her dark period of sex addiction in her new book, "Memoirs of a Legal Courtesan," and she launched the book this past January 30 at Cafe Un Deux Trois in Manhattan.
Named for its location at 123 West 44th Street, Cafe Un Deux Trois is a charming little restaurant in the heart of New York's Theater District frequented by  many stage actors and actresses . . . and me.  I like to go here whenever I can, ever since I first became acquainted with it when top model Nancy Donahue and top hairdresser Harry King had one of their parties here - you know all about that!   Shanti chose this place for her book launch, and a lot of her friends showed up to buy copies of her book and get her autograph.  Alas, I couldn't afford a copy, but Shanti was nice enough to sign a promotional card for me.  And I got a lot of souvenirs in the form of pictures.    
This is Shanti Patty Owen, easily one of the nicest women you'll ever meet.  Here she is at Cafe Un Deux Trois all ready to sign copies of her book.
And here's her book. 
I have a feeling that the public library in my hometown would ban this book on the basis of the cover alone.  But Shanti is nothing if not frank about her past.    
Many of our mutual friends were there, including her fellow top model Alva Chinn, with whom she poses below.  Cool mirror image, huh? :-D.
She also received one of the most legendary models of all time, Linda Morand Phillips (below), who was modeling in Paris back in the sixties.  Of course, both Alva and Linda are friends of mine as well.   
Shanti spent two hours signing books, and she met with many of her old friends in the process.  Those of us who've only known her for a little while as well as her lifelong buddies were happy to support her in her literary endeavor. 
Yours truly got into the picture - literally - courtesy of art director and designer Fred J. DeVito, who has worked on many a fashion ad.  Here's  Fred's picture of me with my good friend Bhavaja Kat . . . 
  . . . and here's a smartphone pic of the two of us with male model Tony Spinelli.

No, I didn't change my shirt.  Some digital cameras reproduce color better than others.
It was a night to remember. like so many other nights with the veteran movers and shakers of New York fashion, and Shanti was as always a gracious hostess.  but then, she was amply surrounded by friends.
If your friends are there, then everything's all right. :-)    
You can buy Shanti's book here.

No comments: