Saturday, December 31, 2016

Slouching Toward 2017 . . .

Yeah, I'm ready to see the old year go.
This year started out badly, what with our kitchen taking forever to get done, and a new floor for our basement also took an eternity.  Both situations felt interminable, and the house was a wreck as a result of it all.  My mother and I are only beginning to recover from it.  But in the meantime, I've also had to deal with a lot of other problems that never seem to get resolved.  I keep saying out loud, even when no one's there, "This is never going to end," about . . . anything. :-(  
I'm not ending this year much better than how I started it.  This week I had a scare with my car when the radiator fluid got dangerously low and the engine developed cold-start problems, the latter problem I thought Volkswagen had purged from the Golf decades ago.  It turns out that the mechanic at the shop I went to for an oil change back in October forgot to add radiator fluid, as it tends to dissipate between oil changes, and he told me that my five-year old battery was just fine when in fact it needed replacement.  I had a local VW dealer - not my regular dealer, but I'll probably go back there for service next time - take care of all of that.
That's a relief.  Now, however, I have to figure out how to uninstall and re-install my pre-Windows-10 printer because the scanner function stopped working, and the new camera I got for Christmas doesn't have a USB cord and attempts to connect it to my PC via Wi-Fi have been unsuccessful.  It doesn't look like I'll be able to start the new year clean.
Ahh, I've had it.  As New Year's Day 2017 begins on a Sunday, I'd like to think I'll have a good year because the calendar gives me a total "fresh start" in the form of a new year, a new month, a new day and a new week as well, but  I can't remember a year beginning on a Sunday that turned out well.  The last one gave us Hurricane Sandy.
Happy new year.  Try not to let Trump spoil it. :-O               

No comments: