Monday, March 28, 2016

Not a Perfect 10

My mother thought we should do it.  We'd had Microsoft Windows 7 on our personal computer for the past few years - it came with that operating system - but we'd been sitting for months on a free Microsoft Windows 10 upgrade that was to expire in July 2016.  Finally, my mother decided that we should go ahead and get the upgrade.
Oh, there was trepidation on my part, all right.  See, I've uploaded and installed different programs on our PC before, including Internet browsers, and the outcome was not always pleasant - especially when I had to call tech support.  But I went ahead and did it.  I even transferred most of my documents and photos to discs and deleted them from my hard drive before doing so,  in part to free up hard-drive space in order to expedite the upgrade and in part because I didn't trust the system to preserve my files when it upgraded (it did in fact preserve the few documents and pictures I left on the hard drive).  The upgrade took over an hour, as it was supposed to, and after a bit of familiarization with Windows 10, I preceded to use it.
So far, so good . . . or so far, so-so.  The system works and performs well, giving me a sense of relief after all of those earlier upgrades, installations, and updates in the past that took forever to resolve.  But I still have my complaints.  Windows 10 has a lot of bells and whistles, and I don't feel a need or even a desire to use a lot of them.  It gives me the weather;  I can get that from The Weather Channel's site.  It gives me the news; so does my Internet service provider.  It has a calendar; we get paper calendars for free from various sources every December. It has Skype; who am I going to contact on Skype? 
On the other hand, I have a solitaire program again.
But here's my biggest complaint.  When I turn on our PC, it signs me on to my settings automatically.  The problem is that there are two of us who use the PC, and my mother has her own settings.  But if she wants to use the PC she has to turn on the computer, go to my settings and switch to hers only after mine have been started.  With Windows 7, the welcome screen would allow us to choose which settings to go to.  I don't know, I must have clicked on something wrong to make the PC go to my settings automatically every time my mother or I turn the computer on. 
Windows 10 has this application to help you get started, and it even has a search function called "Cortana" to help you find something, but  I still haven't figured out how to arrange things so that my mother can go to her settings without having to go to mine first.  And what's this about needing a Microsoft account?  I just want our PC to activate the way it did when we had Windows 7.  Oh, well, I'll figure it out somehow.
I just hope I don't have to call tech support. :-O      

No comments: