Wednesday, November 25, 2015

The End of the World

It looks like it's game over.

The planet is falling apart.  On this day before Thanksgiving, we'd be hard-pressed to find anything to be thankful for.  While the old foursome that won the Second World War (the United States, Great Britain, France, Russia) are trying to prevent a third world war by containing the Islamic State,  Turkey may have accelerated it by shooting down a Russian plane near the Turkish border with Syria.  President Obama's insistence that he has all of this under control has re-assured nobody.  And as if the prospect of Hillary Clinton taking office in 2017 and turning up the heat with a more predatory foreign policy weren't enough, the leading Republican presidential candidate insists he saw a pro-al-Qaeda demonstration in Jersey City in the wake of the World Trade Center attacks on  September 11, 2001 - attended apparently, by more people than the actual population of Jersey City - while his chief competitor for the GOP presidential nomination talks about the genius Thomas Jefferson displayed when he wrote the Constitution (Jefferson was the American minister to France when the Constitution was written).  Add to that the warming planet and the growth of global wealth inequality and we have ourselves a lot of problems.
Meanwhile, I have a slew of personal problems I'd rather not reveal here.  Only five people I know are aware of my particular situation, and I intend to keep it that way.  I just hope I get through what I have to get through.
And in spite of everything, I'll try to have a happy Thanksgiving.                

No comments: