Monday, February 2, 2015

Insecurity Blanket

Thank you, Linus.
The twelfth Weather Channel-named storm of the winter of 2014-15, named Linus not for Lucy's brother or even the first successor to St. Peter as bishop of Rome, but, in fact, named for a son of Apollo in Greco-Roman mythology and a brilliant musician, is striking some sour notes. Originally thought to produce mainly snow, this storm is expected to being a good deal of freezing rain to New York City and northern New Jersey.  Ice "accretions" are expected to be at least quarter of an inch where I live, which doesn't sound so bad, and it may not be.  But with the possibility of ice accumulating as much as half an inch, that could be enough to produce my first long-term electrical outage since Sandy.   
Thank you, Linus.
Even if I make it through the morning and early afternoon without an outage, a flash freeze on wet power lines later on could be the kiss of death and ruin not just my day but the week.  And too much of what I do is dependent on my Internet connection.
Thank you, Linus.   
I haven't been so insecure and nervous about the power since . . . last week.  Last week's storm proved to be not as bad as originally forecast.  I don't think I'll be lucky a second time.
Thank you, Linus.  
I won't announce a hiatus for this blog until and unless I have to, likely from my local library.  I'll just have to sit tight for the next 24 hours.  And hope I can stay warm in single-digit overnight temperatures if everything does go out.  Whatever happens, with a blanket of wintry precipitation outside, I'll need extra blankets for more than just security.
Thank you, Linus. :-p

No comments: