Saturday, December 15, 2012

Enough!

I've had it.
I was working out on a treadmill yesterday at my local gym when I heard from an overhead  TV set playing in the background that White House press secretary Jay Carney responded to the school shooting in Connecticut by saying that now is not the time to talk about gun control.  I got so mad that I threw the magazine I was reading hard against the floor.
Mind you, this was not a Fox News commentator saying this; this was the White House press secretary.  I can't emphasize that enough.  I was in a bad mood for the rest of the day.
Well, that's it.  I can't stand it anymore. Some people will talk about gun control, but no one will actually do anything about it for fear of enraging the National Rifle Association and encouraging the American Legislative Exchange Council to draft new ready-made bills to make it even easier to pack a rod. Wayne LaPierre and his NRA underlings have not silenced gun control advocates, they've marginalized them. Public support for gun control has dropped sharply over the years.  The United States is the most armed country on the planet. 
The election of 2012 was supposedly about what kind of country we want to live in.  I have made it quite clear on this blog what kind of country I want to live in.  I have also noted with equal clarity that I don't feel that I live in such a country.  So I'll just come out and say it: A nation in which children to be gunned down, a nation that allows the purveyors of a sick gun culture to prosper and also allows children to be shot to death in cold blood is, to be blunt, a nation I want no part of.  I don't want to live in a country like that anymore. And one day I hope I don't have to.  But I have a strong feeling that the day I no longer have to live in such a country is the day I leave the United States for good.
I don't know where I'd go if it ever comes to that.  But right now I can't help but recall the words of a Steely Dan song: Any world that I'm welcome to is better than the one I come from.

No comments: