Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Union Busting

I couldn't watch President Obama's third (and maybe last?) State Of the union address last night, but I understand the base of the Democratic party was pleased. That's not necessarily a good thing. The base of either party swoons too easily to partisan presidential rhetoric.
Anyway, the President, as I understand it, demanded that Republicans work with him on restoring fairness to the tax code and have the wealthy pat their fair share, along with urging action on immigration reform, tax credits for companies that invest in factories in America, and clean energy incentives. Republicans responded by saying - angrily, of course - that the President was was just trying to divide people along class lines and stuff big government down our throats.
So what did I miss?
Anyway, Obama hoped to sharpen the definition between what the Democrats stand for (assuming they stand for something) and what the Republicans stand for, and show that the Democratic vision of America is more populistic and more equitable, with the hope of getting people to start debating over just what kind of country we want to live in.
Hmph. I know what kind of country I want to live in, and this ain't it. Because every public amenity I support that makes any country worth living in - public medical insurance, high-quality surface mass transit, world-class public schools, a federal department of artistic and cultural affairs (which Quincy Jones supports), and public broadcasting that's more like the BBC (the Best Broadcasting Corporation) than PBS (Pro-Business Soapbox, Pathetic Broadcasting Service, Pretentious Blowhard Shows) or NPR (Not Particularly Riveting) - isn't likely to become reality any time soon. Nor is any other legislation I support - tougher gun laws, re-introducing the Equal Rights Amendment, overturning Citizens United. I know what I want to United States to be like, and it isn't. And realities that have nothing to do with Democratic politics or Republican politics but, rather, American thinking will continue to prevent my America from materializing.

No comments: