Sunday, November 20, 2011

Goodbye, Andy, Mark Two

Over a month ago, I wrote about Andy Rooney's retirement from "60 Minutes," and I summed up his long and incredible career. I concluded by saying that Rooney is "not retiring from writing, because even at 92 years of age, he's a writer and he always will be, and he thanked viewers for listening to what he had to say for 33 years. He's sure to be around in some capacity after tonight, and I'm sure he'll have something to say about it."
Ironically, his parting comments were his last words as a professional writer.  Rooney, of course, died on the night of November 4.  I regret that I had not acknowledged his death earlier than now.  I also regret that I cannot add anything to what I've already said about him . . . except that Rooney imagined himself maintaining some kind of presence as a writer.  His goodbye was not meant to be forever.  But Rooney's death only a month after his final "60 Minutes" sign-off only shows how fate, whatever we envision for ourselves, has its own plans.  R.I.P.
It makes sense that the current producers of "60 Minutes" haven't thought up a new kind of end piece to the show.  What could they possibly come up with after more than three decades of Andy?        

No comments: