Friday, January 14, 2011

Paint Her Face In a Magazine

Remember when black and dark-skinned Hispanic models started appearing on the covers of women's fashion magazines? Remember when women of South Asian descent revolutionized the idea of what constitutes feminine beauty? Neither can I. Black and brown faces appear on the covers of such magazines these days with much less regularity than they once did. And those who do are showing up with their skin color turned a paler shade of white.
Noted Indian actress Aishwarya Rai Bachchan recently appeared on the cover of the India edition of Elle magazine with a much paler complexion than she actually has. Not only are fans angry, but Ms. Rai Bachchan herself is considering a lawsuit against the magazine. The U.S. edition of Elle is also under fire for featuring black actress Gabourey Sidibe on one of its four celebrity covers from this past October, but with noticeably lighter skin than her own natural complexion.

I have never in my life been able to understand the obsession with lighter skin when it comes to establishing feminine beauty standards. I have heard anecdotal stories of black men preferring black women with lighter skin, and I am aware that skin-lightening products have been marketed incessantly in many circles - including India, where ads for such products regularly feature prominent actresses from the Indian cinema, or "Bollywood," establishment. But why are feminine beauty standards constantly set according to white, European-American ideals? How is darker skin considered uglier or less attractive? I realize I'm only a white male outsider looking in on this debate, and you might think it doesn't concern me. Actually, it does. Sort of.
Longtime readers of this blog will likely be aware that I keep a picture blog devoted to beautiful women, and that I have featured women of every race, creed and color. Black women - actresses, models, dancers - have appeared on my blog with steady regularity, as well as many prominent Hispanic women. Many women of color I have featured have quite dark complexions, and if any of these pictures appear brightened, I can assure you - it's to correct bad lighting, not to lighten skin color.
In fact, many of the female celebrities I first found myself attracted to when I began to notice the opposite sex were black. And many of the black female celebrities I've found attractive are known for their dark brown complexions. It would be a cliché to say I've found such women to be "exotic," though it would be more truthful to say I simply found them gorgeous. Consider Beverly Johnson, the first black woman to appear on the cover of Vogue in the United States. Below is my favorite picture of her. No makeup, no retouching - just her own natural, dark-skinned look.

I ask you, can anyone look at the above picture and not deem Ms. Johnson to be one of the most beautiful women of all time?
Or how about this glamour shot of Diana Ross, Motown's greatest songstress, from the late seventies?

Even Michael Jackson said at the time that she was sexy. This was why. Alas, Diana Ross doesn't look as attractive these days . . . largely because her skin is lighter. She doesn't look horrible, but she's a far cry from the gorgeous woman I remember her to be. And I have no idea why she would lighten her skin, either.
This idea of whiter being prettier has to be put to rest, and it should have been long ago. But even if a few addle-brained magazine editors and skin-lightening product makers keep pushing this idea, they're fighting a losing battle.
I'm sure the First Lady of the United States would agree. :-)

1 comment:

Ricky said...

Excellent posting. Thanks for sharing. I really like it.