Monday, January 31, 2011

Corrections and Clarifications: January 31, 2011

I sometimes jokingly refer to this blog "The Maginnis Post" when discussing it with my friends, but unlike the Huffington Post, this blog is a one-man show. I'm my own copy writer, my own editor, my own managing editor, my own music critic - you name it. It's sort of like the Looney Tunes short where Bugs Bunny plays a baseball team entirely by himself. So mistakes and inaccuracies are bound to occur here, and I periodically have to issue a blog entry correcting and clarifying earlier posts - which is what I'm doing now.
In my post of January 12, 2011, I referred to Representative Ben Quayle (R-AZ) as being "Indiana-bred." While he was born in Indiana, and while his family does come from that state, he was no doubt raised in Maryland and/or Virginia (and was raised right!) until he was sixteen years old, as his father Dan Quayle was elected to the House of Representatives the same month Ben was born (November 1976) and would serve in Washington as a House member, then as a senator, and then as Vice President of the United States from 1977 to 1993, the Quayles moved to Arizona some time in the late nineties. My point in my earlier post was that, Ben's declaration of love for his adopted state of Arizona notwithstanding, he was raised right elsewhere. To be fair, though, his family does have roots in Arizona; his father Dan, ironically, lived there as a boy while James C. Quayle - Dan's father - was in Arizona running a branch of the family's publishing business.
In my post from January 28, 2011, I pointed out that Yemen had been two countries prior to 1990 - an Arab republic in the north and a communist republic in the south - but I originally did not stress that, when Yemen was unified, it was unified under the government in the north. I edited in that point shortly after the post was published, but some readers might have missed that.
I also noted in that same post that Egyptian Nobel laureate Mohammed El-Baradei had been arrested after returning to Egypt. Update: He has since been released. Some telecommunications in Egypt have also been restored intermittently, on a tenuous basis. The Egypt crisis, like so many other stories these days, is changing faster than I can comment on it.
I'll probably be back here early tomorrow, with more miscellaneous musings, but the 36 hours after that are dicey, given a potential ice storm that could literally hit where I live - and knock the electricity out. (I knew I should have done printed broadsides!) So it may be Thursday before I'm on full steam again. Stay tuned.

No comments: