Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Hello Again, Mr. Chaps

Back in December 2009, I reported here that British rock singer Roger Chapman, the former frontman for Family and Streetwalkers and, since 1979, solo artist, had retired after two final shows the weekend before Christmas in his hometown of Leicester. It turns out that this was merely Chappo's first final call. Chapman, 68, has spent 2010 on a "Part 2" of his "farewell tour" with a "Part 3" promised for 2011. In other words, on the subject of "retirement," Chapman is as full of crap as Cher. But this is a case of disingenousness I'm actually happy to see.
Because it gets better. Chapman has hinted at the possibility of playing a gig or two in the United States in 2011. Bear in mind that Chapman hasn't performed in America since Streetwalkers toured here in 1976, and neither Family nor Streetwalkers never did really big business in the U.S. To add insult to injury, his solo albums have never been available in this country. Chapman does have a group of devoted fans in America, and while we are not, in fact, a group small enough to fit in a walk-in linen closet, we may not exactly be large enough to fill the Beacon Theater in New York either. So an American gig would clearly be for the fans, not the money. At least that's my take on it. Besides, Chapman has been active in rock and roll at least as long as I (I just turned 45) have been alive. What does he have to prove?
So, yes, an American concert makes perfect sense. I'm cautiously optimistic that it will come to pass. Chappo's reported plans to play New York in 2003 fell through, but I have a good feeling that it's for real this time. The big question is whether he will include any Family or Streetwalkers tunes in his set list. Since he's better known in this country for his involvement in those bands, it's possible he'll do so, although his solo career has never been about looking back. A "farewell" tour, though, suggests a set list with a broader career retrospective. We'll have to wait and see. If Chappo does play a gig in America, though, I'm sure to be there. And you won't have to worry about me getting drunk and shouting out a request for "The Weaver's Answer."
I don't drink, and my favorite Family song is probably "Between Blue and Me," anyway. :-D
(Check out my newly revised Family page - with song lyrics! - here. :-)

No comments: