Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Edge of Wetness

Summer arrived on time in northern New Jersey, with all the heat and humidity the American East Coast is famous for.
The easiest way to beat the heat around here, apart from spending an afternoon in an air-conditioned building, is going to a pool. I belong to a pool, I use it, and I enjoy it, but I'm not as enthusiastic about swimming as I am about cycling. In fact, when you consider everything that's involved in going to a pool - make sure you have your swim trunks, bring a towel, don't forget your soap and shampoo - the bike looks more attractive. You can really travel light - literally - on a bicycle. Getting everything ready for the pool and making sure you have everything when you leave is a pain in the neck. I once lost a pair of goggles that way.
In between I manage to swim about thirty laps and cool off well enough, but I've never been able to get comfortable in a pool. Maybe it's because of that cold, wet, clinging swimsuit attached to my person. Maybe it's time for bikini briefs. But there must be an easier way to stay cool in the summer than to get all wet.
Incidentally, I have spent the past year trying to start two profile articles, start pieces for two separate pieces for two Patch.com sites, get an editorial job once I had my editing certificate, increase my networking opportunities, travel abroad, and start a business service showing people how to blog. None of that came to pass. So it turns out I'm already all wet . . . about a lot of stuff.

No comments: