Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Blumenfalling?

Update: Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal said he misspoke when he said he served in the Vietnam War. I got the impression that he did not actually say "I served in Vietnam" in those exact words, and I accepted his explanation.
Then I saw the video from the event showing what he said.
The video, dated March 2008, shows Blumenthal speaking at an event in which he clearly says, "I served in Vietnam." Blumenthal has now said he meant to say he served "during" Vietnam, and that he takes full responsibility for the error. "But," he added, "I will not allow anyone to take a few misplaced words and impugn my record of service to our country."
Except that he made this misstatement more than a few times and never bothered to correct the record, despite being well-known for calling journalists to clarify or correct points.
Oh yeah, he said he was the captain of the Harvard swimming team and was never even on the Harvard swimming team. Maybe he didn't even go to Harvard, for all I know.
And, the ten Democratic Senate seats the Republicans need to take control of the upper house in November - what Jeff Sessions needs to block Obama judicial appointments - are suddenly within reach.
This doesn't look good. . . .

No comments: