Friday, January 15, 2010

R.I.P. Teddy Pendergrass

Teddy Pendergrass, one of the greatest soul singers of all time and the greatest voice in Philadelphia soul, died yesterday at 59 of colon cancer. Pendergrass was known for a big, expressive voice that employed to great effect, both as the lead singer for Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes and as a solo artist. Blue Notes hits like "If You Don't Know Me By Now," "Bad Luck," and "The Love I Lost" and Pendergrass solo hits like "Love TKO" were indicative of his vocal style.
In 1982, Pendergrass was severely paralyzed for life in a car accident, yet he continued performing and considered himself blessed to be able to do so. This blogger missed perhaps his best moment. I was at Live Aid n Pendergrass's hometown of Philadelphia, and I had to either use the restroom or get a drink - and I missed Pendergrass's performance, one of the most poignant of the show, while I was away. I was so bummed.
A lot of people loved Teddy Pendergrass, and now he's the love they lost. Rest in peace. :-(

No comments: