Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Bonking the ACORN Bonker

Tell me I'm not dreaming. Tell me it really happened. Tell me that James O'Keefe, the right-wing activist who implicated the Associations of Community Organizers for Reform Now (ACORN) in an Abscam-style prostitution scheme with doctored video and exaggerated claims. finally got his just deserts. O'Keefe was arrested in trying to bug - yes, bug - the New Orleans office of Senator Mary Landrieu (D-LA) for her vote for the Senate health care bill (now stalled) using young men in their twenties like himself posing as telephone repairmen. The plan apparently was either entrap Landrieu in a prank of some sort or commit some more serious form of political espionage. After humiliating ACORN in an attempt (successful, alas) to cut off their associations with the federal government, O'Keefe tried to go after someone in the government -Seantor Landrieu - to create a scandal. He only got himself in a scandal now. He and his three co-conspirators are to be in court today for pretrial meetings.
Tell me this is the first nail in the coffin of the right-wing movement. Tell me this is the butterfly's wing flap that creates an anti-conservative storm. Tell me, please, that this is the beginning of the end of the dominance of the American right.

No comments: