Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Facebook Group Bans

I've been thrown in Facebook jail on the social media platform twice this summer - both for transgressions on politically oriented groups, both for the same and both for the same reason. Comparing Donald Trump to Adolf Hitler. I've since made a decision about Facebook groups.
To explain:  Back in June, in a pro-Biden group I'm a co-administrator of, someone left a comment on a post saying that Trump has a messiah complex, and I commented, "You mean like . . ." with a picture of Hitler attached.  And almost immediately, Facebook deleted the comment and subsequently banned me from using groups for a week except for clicking "Like" on other people's comments and posts - that meant no commenting and no posting for me.  So what if my comment was historically accurate that Hitler did have a messiah complex because he wanted to "save" Germany?  But at least I was back on Facebook groups after a week.
Then it happened again.
This past Saturday, someone put up this picture of Melania as Trump's would-be assassin as a joke in another politically oriented Facebook group and I commented in response, "Yeah, there were multiple attempts to kill Hitler." Facebook removed the comment, saying it promoting violence, and threw me in the FB slammer - same punishment as before, but this time for  month! Damn algorithms!  If I do something like this again, I fear that the Sugar Mountain Man (that's what I call Mark Zuckerberg, because his surname means "sugar mountain" in German) will throw me off Facebook entirely.  
Therefore . . . I plan to leave all political groups on Facebook that I belong to once the ban ends. These groups are getting too dangerous.  I m only going to remain a member of groups devoted to cars, cats, rock and roll and the like.  I also plan to terminate my group for former Maryland governor and 2016 Democratic presidential candidate Martín O'Malley for two reasons. First of all, he's no longer interested in running for President again.  Second of all, he's the commissioner of the Social Security Administration, and as far as I'm concerned, as a bureaucrat in  position of federal leadership, he became a national leader after all.  He won!    
I'll continue to be political here on this blog, and I'll continue to be political on my own Facebook timeline, which is relatively safer, but as far as Facebook political groups are concerned . . . yeah, I'm done.  See you 'round the clubs!  

No comments: