Thursday, July 25, 2024

Comings and Goings

Democrats and pundits are praising Joe Biden's campaign withdrawal speech from the Oval Office last night for being selfless and magnanimous in "passing the torch" to Kamala Harris, which it was, but some people called it courageous.  No.  It would have been more courageous if he'd given that speech in March 2023, which would have given the Democrats the opportunity to choose a successor among themselves, without having as clear an idea of what the future held as Biden and everyone else do now.  Some Democrats are even angry now at President Biden for having waited so long after the debate to get it through his head that his re-election campaign was over.  

No matter,  I guess, everyone in the Democratic Party is excited about Harris, who is going to win the Democratic presidential nomination and is on the path to being elected President in November, but, as I stated before, Trump and the MAGA Republicans are still favored because they plan to throw a lot of black cats into Harris' path to cross it.      

Except for James David Vance, who hates cats.  
Oh yeah, the Paris Olympics, which begin tomorrow . . . am I going to comment no the Games?  Yeah, I guess, but with less enthusiasm that I had before the pandemic ruined the last two Olympiads and before I got tired of blogging every single day.  I've lost some of my old rah-rah spirit of late, and I'm not looking forward to the Games the way I used to.  I'm already looking toward the 2028 Games in Los Angeles and, knowing that Trump could still get elected to a second nonconsecutive term as President, I fear that, as a dictator, he'll turn the 2028 Olympics into a farce.
If he does win in November . . . I call upon the International Olympic Committee to move the 2028 Olympics out of the United States. Trump will indeed be a dictator by then, the Democratic Party will have been outlawed, dissenters will go to the gallows, and he will use the Games to display his version of American greatness and superiority. It will be like Berlin 1936 or Moscow 1980. 
In which case, I hope Canadian athletes put Team USA to shame, as I will be living in Toronto by then.

No comments: