Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Quiet Quitting?

What's "quiet quitting?"

It's a new way of dissociating oneself from one's job without actually resigning from it.  Quiet quitters are employees who do no more than the basic duties of their work and do not go the extra mile to distinguish themselves with their work.  A more extreme version of this is exemplified by the comic stip chracter Wally in "Dilbert;" Wally doesn't just not go beyond the basic duties of his job, he doesn't even do the basic duties.

I've had jobs where I didn't do any more of me that was expected, but since they were lousy jobs, I eventually got laid off so they didn't have to pay me a raise. But as a reporter, I've had to go the extra mile on my job because extra detail can liven up a story.  For example, I wrote a story about a conversion of a bank building in the town I report on, and the building is on a block that once had several banks, and the building frontages show it with their formal and classical façades.  One such building, which now houses a film society headquarters, was the scene of an inside-job robbery in the early 1990s when it was still a bank.  And I included that information in my article. It made the article more vivid and connected the present day to the town's history.   

When I quit something, of course, I  quit completely.  I quit making plans for foreign travel because I didn't see a time in the immediate future when I go abroad, I quit all forms of political activism because I felt that it wouldn't help and never had helped, and I quit another job reviewing books because I got bored with it and no longer needed the money.  I also quit commenting on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame because I got tired of having to deal with its dubious inductions.  And I came right out and said it all here. 

And I wasn't exactly quiet about it.

No comments: