Monday, November 29, 2021

Omicron?

Oh, swell, another COVID variant.

The World Health Organization declared the new variant discovered over the weekend in South Africa as a variant of concern, and in this pandemic, concern is usually a prelude to disaster.  This variant could be more contagious than Delta and may even evade vaccines, suggesting a real-life Andromeda strain that is incurable and could wipe out humanity completely,

But it probably isn't.  What little data there is suggests that the symptoms from what I am tempted to call the "omicorona" are milder than previous strains (I still hate the use of the word "variant," it sounds like they're taking about a German station wagon), and vaccines are likely to either be effective or adaptable to the new strain.  The question is, it they have to be adapted, whether people already vaccinated and boosted should get a fourth shot.

While we wait a few days for the verdict (swell, another word beginning with the letter "v" associated with this pandemic) on this strain, I ought to explain why the Greek letter omicron was used to name this COVID strain.  Because the next two available letters had problems.  The next available one was "nu," and calling it the "nu" variant could easily be taken to mean it's the "new variant," suggesting a possible riff in the tradition of Abbott and Costello.  ("I heard of a new COVID variant.  What is it called?" "The nu variant."  "I know it's new, but what is the name of the variant?" "No, nu, not what!" "What?" "No, nu."  "Look, I'm trying to find out that name of the variant." "Which one?" "The new variant."  "That's the name of the variant!" "What?" "What the name of the variant is." "That's what I'm trying to find out!") 

Gallows humor there.

The next letter after "nu" in the Greek alphabet is "xi," pronounced "she," just like the surname of a certain world leader from a country where last names come first spells and pronounces his surname.

And we want to make sure that he doesn't take offense, right?  Especially when he made omicron, or nu, or xi happen?  Or did he?
For he may be Xi, but what I'm told is never, never for certain.
And I'm told, and I'm told he's a virgin.  
More gallows humor . . . 
But I'm not kidding around when I say this: Any new COVID "variant of concern" is serious.  Get vaccinated if you haven't and get boosted if you have.

No comments: