Thursday, May 14, 2020

More Mask Paranoia

In New Jersey, since April 8, we've had to wear masks in public places where social distancing isn't always possible due to COVID-19, which means that I have to go into a supermarket looking like a bank robber or a ninja warrior.  State and county parks reopened in New Jersey on May 2, with masks required, given that social distancing may not be possible there either.  I've made it a point to stay away from supermarkets and hardware stores as much as humanly possible.  And if I have to wear a mask to use a county park (Essex County is the only county in New Jersey without a state park), then I would rather go walking and cycling elsewhere.  
So what's my problem with wearing a face mask (what other kinds of masks are there?) or, as it's euphemistically called, a face covering (because the very word "mask" sounds nasty and scary)?  Not only am I uncomfortable wearing a mask in any circumstance, I am uncomfortable being in a place where everyone else is wearing one.  Being cut up isn't the only reason I have a fear of operating rooms.  I don't even like to go to Halloween parties.  I always get nervous around mimes more because of their whiteface than their silence.  I'm frustrated by faces I can't see.  Especially if they're women's faces.   I'd certainly be nervous standing next to a fully made-up geisha girl.  And though I know many models, I would not want them to invite me to a fashion show staged by designer Martin Margiela, who started having his models wearing masks on the runway long before COVID-19 came along.
You think that's hip?  I'm freaking out.
Perhaps this is why this commercial is one of my favorite TV ads of all time.



And it sure did make me want to run away and join the circus.
Ironically, this COVID crisis made me unmask the psychological hangup I just revealed.  And I think I am a better person for revealing it rather than bottling it up inside.
I can only sigh . . ..  I just hope we can get this damn virus behind us soon.  And then, like the young woman in the video below, we can all unmask for good . . .



. . . no matter how painfully long it may take. :-O

No comments: