Saturday, December 6, 2014

You Want Ice With That?

Could ice, not snow, be the story of the winter of 2014-15?
The 45-day AccuWeather forecast for my area includes predictions for not one, but two, ice storms in the first half of January.  I keep trying to tell myself that AccuWeather's 45-day forecasts are a joke, and numerous meteorologists have lampooned the very idea of forecasts that far out, as they rely on trends and past meteorological history rather than on any hard science.  Also, AccuWeather can't even get short-range forecasts right.  The only problem is, a couple of weather watchers other than AccuWeather have been saying that chances for an ice storm, always good in January, are higher than normal this coming January.  Even a broken clock, I'm being reminded, is right twice a day.
Well, there'll certainly be a lot of stilled clocks in my house if we do get an ice storm or two a couple of weeks into the new year, as they'll likely take the power out for quite some time.  Anyone who's read this blog, followed my beautiful women picture blog, seen my photos on Flickr, or read my hyperlocal news articles should know how dependent I am on cyberspace for my writing and media endeavors.  So, yes, I'm scared going into this winter and having to deal with something worse than just a major snowstorm.
I'll just keep crossing my fingers and remind myself that 45-day forecasts are full of crap.  As of now, this forecast hasn't changed since it was posted a few days earlier.  I just hope this isn't the first time that AccuWeather lives up to its name. :-O              

No comments: