Monday, December 15, 2014

No Model Behavior Here!

As soon as high-profile fashion model Beverly Johnson came out and accused Bill Cosby of drugging her, that was it for me. Cosby is guilty of very improper behavior against all of those women.
If you haven't heard the story, Beverly Johnson auditioned for a small part on Bill Cosby's successful eighties sitcom, and he invited her to his townhouse in Manhattan to rehearse. According to Ms. Johnson - one of the most articulate women in the modeling trade - here's what happened next:
"He kept insisting to have this cappuccino, it's the best coffee you'll ever have, and so I relented and I took the coffee. And I took a sip of the coffee and I immediately felt strange and then I took another sip of the cappuccino and that drug was so powerful it just came on like a moving train, and I knew I had been drugged.
"I knew he was trying to take advantage of me, but I knew this goes above and beyond making a pass at a woman.  You don't make a pass at a woman by drugging her."
Although Ms. Johnson says that she does not think Cosby assaulted her, she added that she was nearly unconscious when he dragged her out of his townhouse and put her in a taxi. Just before the cab pulled away, she called Cosby an expletive. She never saw him again. 
While I do know and have met many high-profile fashion models, as I've mentioned on this blog, Beverly Johnson is not one of them. But anyone who knows anything about her knows that she is, and has been in a distinguished career going back to the early seventies, one of the classiest women in modeling, and at this point in her career, she has nothing to gain from coming out against Cosby now. In other words, if she says this happened, it happened. Which means all the other women who came forward with accusations against Cosby are most likely telling the truth. And there are two dozen of them. Hey, they can't be all liars - and Beverly Johnson is no liar. 
And whether or not you think Bill Cosby had a right to criticize inner-city black America for its ghetto culture before, he clearly doesn't have a right to make such criticisms now. To the extent that inner-city black America's ghetto culture deserves criticism, let someone else criticize it (no, not you, Bill O'Reilly, I mean another black person!). But not Cosby.

No comments: