Thursday, March 29, 2012

Communication Breakdown

I've always resisted getting high-tech features on the cars I buy, like power windows and the like, because I don't think they're necessary. Besides, it's just one more thing that could go wrong with a car. Sometimes I get them whether I want them or not, because such technologically advanced features are standard on even the base entry-level models offered by automakers.  Sure enough, a newfangled feature on my new car suddenly stopped working, a feature on my radio . . . but because it doesn't affect my car's performance or convenience and because I can still play the radio, I can't really complain.
I have - had - Radio Data System, which receives information from radio stations that identifies the station and sometimes the show or song title and artist you're listening to. Yesterday, it stopped working on the WFUV-FM, the college indie station I normally listen to, which always provided all of that information. RDS was still worked on other radio stations, so I figured the problem was with WFUV, and not my car radio. This morning it was still working on other stations but after a few moments it stopped working altogether. Now, there's no RDS feed on my car radio screen at all.
No, it's not an essential feature, any more than a radio itself is, but I did appreciate the fact that I could see who was playing or singing what without having to wait for the DJ to tell me and sometimes having to wait in the car after parking it before turning off the radio and getting out. (I have a Volkswagen, and VWs are known for having radios you can play without the ignition switched on.) It's a feature I wouldn't have missed, though, if I had never had it in the first place. I don't know what could have happened - a computer malfunction, something in the airwaves - but if it doesn't come back on its own, I suppose I'll have to have it checked while it's still under warranty as soon as I get the opportunity.
Until then, I'll have to sit in the parking lot if I want Dennis Elsas or whomever to tell me what song I just heard.
I didn't really need this feature, which I'd done without in my previous car. Now it's just another additional feature that can go wrong, and did. 

No comments: