Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Election Day 2011 - No Endorsements

Unlike in years past, where I have made endorsements of various candidates for office in different campaigns across the country, I am not making any endorsements for this year, 2011.
The reasons for this are many.  First of all, I was pre-occupied by the recent autumn snowstorm and the cleanup afterwards, along with some other writing projects, so I haven't kept up with any of the major gubernatorial races in Kentucky, Louisiana, or Mississippi, or, for that matter, important ballot questions like the collective bargaining question in Ohio.  Secondly, many races this year are so lopsided - the mayoral election in Philadelphia, for example, where the Democrat always wins - that endorsements in those cases are meaningless.  Thirdly, it's an off-year electoral cycle - so who gives a twit? Fourthly, I have reached a point where my disgust for the democratic process in America is too great for me to offer any even-handed endorsements of any sort.  It would be like a rock critic trying to give a fair review to an album from a band he hates.  So I have decided to spare myself the trouble and thus not endorse any candidate or any position.  Even to take a stand on the question in Mississippi related to abortion would be to involve myself in an issue Americans should have settled long ago . . . and besides, the very idea of declaring a fertilized egg a person shouldn't even be dignified with an acknowledgement.   
I decided to take advice from the late, great American entertainer Sammy Davis, Jr., who famously said during the 1980 presidential campaign, "The only thing I'm endorsing this year is checks." :-p  

No comments: