Thursday, October 6, 2011

Think Different

I don't know if I can say anything about Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, who died yesterday after a long battle with cancer, that hasn't already been said.  But I can say this much: I don't have a Mac, I don't own and iPhone, and I don't have an iPad.  And quite frankly, I never wanted an iPod, because I'm too old-school to listen to music on that sort of thing.  But even if you don't own an Apple product, your life has probably been affected by Jobs's innovations.  He made electronic products more intuitive, and easier to use.  Other computer companies, while unable to match the allure or mystique of Apple, have probably made various changes to their products because of Jobs.  And if you've ever seen a Pixar film, you've seen another aspect of life made possible by Jobs, who was involved in that company as well.
It was very easy for Jobs to create the electronic world we live in today, because he saw what people wanted out of their electronic products, and he could see what  they would want, like that old commercial where a child is so entranced by a car wash that his father buys him a toy car wash for a gift.  And, like that child, Jobs let his imagination run wild . . . and what he gave us was undeniably special.  
One of these days, I'll own a Mac, possibly, but I suspect that my PC is the way it is because everything Apple's competitors have devised is merely a poor attempt to capture the magic of Steve Jobs. R.I.P. 

No comments: