Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Hurricane Preparations

Now that I think of it, I do have something else to add before I close the door on Irene and the month of August. I have to say a word about how I prepared for the storm.
I started preparing the way everyone else does - I panicked! :-D Then, once that was done, I moved everything outside that could conceivably blow away in 90-mph winds - lawn chairs, garbage cans, et. al. - to the basement and the garage into Then I went into action and started making and storing as much ice as possible from our automatic ice maker to put in a huge cooler to store frozen foods should the power go out. Some people in my hometown of West Caldwell did indeed lose electricity. I filled as many plastic bottles as I could with water should the water system fail, as it did in nearby West Orange. And I also put batteries in my portable stereo but did not use it until the storm began to avoid running low on power. In short, I did everything I could to keep my mother and me comfortable in the event of a disaster that, for us, didn't happen.
I'm holding onto all that ice, I'm keeping the lawn chairs in the basement, and I just might buy more batteries. Katia may be coming next week! :-o

No comments: