Friday, September 4, 2009

Town Hall Criers

Yesterday I attended one of those health care town hall meetings, this one at Montclair State University in Upper Montclair, New Jersey hosted by Representative William Pascrell, Democrat of New Jersey's Eighth District. I don't live in his district, but do you think my Republican congressman would have had such a meeting?
It was an interesting experience. Yes, right-wing protesters out to derail the whole process were there, but they weren't as loud or as disruptive as television makes them out to be. Wendell Potter, a health insurance company spokesman, admitted his role in derailing President Clinton's health care plan with lies and apologized for it. A local businessman spoke in favor of the public option.
As for me, I supported Pascrell's advocacy for health care reform by cheering and applauding his statements of support. At one point, I yelled out to someone, "Let him talk!" But that was the extent of my own rowdiness. Most of the time I wandered around taking pictures of the meeting, and I got a picture of a local TV reporter - Cora-Ann Mihalik, of WWOR-TV. I even met one of my neighbors, who was also there to support Pascrell. The congressman comported himself well and handled some tough questions.
The whole experience was exhausting, and I left early to avoid the rush. It was so crowded that I had to park about half a mile from the auditorium and take a shuttle bus. I don't know what good my presence did, but I'll see.
President Obama hopes to get around the health care controversy, but even when he does something no one would deem as political - speaking to school students in a speech via C-SPAN - Republicans accuse him of brainwashing our kids. The Republicans know a thing a two, though, about brainwashing infantine minds.

No comments: