Sunday, July 31, 2005

Alexander the Flop

If you think things aren't going right for you, and you're irritable to the point where you take it out on others, here's something to consider: Be glad you're not Jason Alexander.
At the end of last year, I made a list of winners and losers of 2004, and I named Alexander one of my winners because his new sitcom "Listen Up" had been renewed by CBS for a full season. Also, I pointed out that even if it got cancelled, it would be the only show starring a "Seinfeld" alumnus to make it that far. Well, I take that back. "Listen Up" did look like it would deliver on its promise at the time, but it quickly demonstrated its inability to do so, and it did indeed get cancelled. But that's not why I'm taking back what I wrote about Alexander earlier. His CBS sitcom may have made it through a full season, but while Michael Richards and Julia Louis-Dreyfus have had only one failed sitcom each, Alexander had a previous failed sitcom on ABC. In other words, he's now the only "Seinfeld" alumnus with two failed shows!
And that's not all. Recently the Chrysler Group of DaimlerChrysler brought back Lee Iaccoca to appear in its ads, and he appears in one with . . . Jason Alexander. So now Alexander is selling cars. How long will it be before he has to get a job at a dealership?
I won't be putting Alexander on my list of losers for 2005. He's overqualified.

No comments: