Saturday, April 16, 2005

Give Us This Day Our Monday Through Sunday Bread

It really amazes me how illiterate Americans are becoming, especially with regards to public signage. I'm not talking about signs that use apostrophes wrong ("OPEN SUNDAY'S") or even to signs that spell words wrong, but to signs like this one, which I saw at my local supermarket:

WE MAKE FRESH BREAKFAST SANDWICHES
MONDAY THROUGH SUNDAY
6:30 AM to 10:00 AM

Monday through Sunday? Wouldn't "DAILY" have been a better word to use? Of course, but our culture dictates that you inflate everything, particularly the English language, to give it more pretense and gravitasse. In fact the very use of the word "gravitasse" (especially when describing an object or an idea) is kind of pretentious - but not here, as I'm just trying to make a point! :-D

No comments: