Friday, August 20, 2004

More Obscure Olympic Sports, Please

Alright, I have to bitch . . ..  Part of the reason I like to watch the Olympics is to watch sports that you don't normally get to see. So NBC goes ahead and shows the more mainstream Olympic sports - swimming, gymnastics, track and field - in prime time. Sports such as equestrian events, volleyball, judo, team handball, water polo - you know, the cool stuff - get shown after half past midnight, early in the morning, or in the middle of the afternoon, mostly on NBC's sister cable channels. Which is exactly when most people are either sleeping or at work - including me. What am I supposed to do, get up in the wee small hours to watch field hockey? Or take the day off to catch a lacrosse game?
Don't get me wrong. I love swimming. Track and field rocks. Geez, even gymnastics can be very entertaining. But NBC should show a little more of the obscure stuff in prime time. True, they have shown fencing and canoeing in prime time, but only a few minutes' worth - and mainly because an American is in medal contention. If a contest is between Croatia and Morocco, who cares? Well, I do - just because an American isn't in medal contention in a particular sport doesn't mean it's not worth watching. (I'm getting the feeling that NBC stands for "Nauseatingly Biased Coverage.")
So, how about it, NBC? What do you say, Bob Costas? Could we see some archery or track cycling in prime time? Even some of it?

No comments: