Wednesday, December 31, 2003

News Stories In 2003

So on this New Year's Eve, what story got my attention the most, apart from the war in Iraq? You won't believe this, but the story that got my attention the most was the aftermath of the death of John Ritter.
With the sole exception of Johnny Cash's death, no passing inspired a greater outpouring of love and remembrance than Ritter's. I always thought he was an underrated actor, and I thought he was the only person who made "Three's Company" watchable - I sometimes wonder why he even bothered with such lightweight campiness - but there was nothing lightweight or campy about the love and goodwill Ritter inspired. I had no idea it ran that deep. It was touching to see his fans express their fondness for him. Even more surprising was that his sitcom, "8 Simple Rules For Dating My Teenage Daughter," has not only survived his (and his character's) passing, the show's fans seem to think it's improved. The cast and crew of the show went on because they felt Ritter would have wanted it that way. And from the looks of things, it will go on. That this sitcom continues so strongly out of so much respect for its late star is perhaps the finest compliment Ritter's memory could receive.

No comments: