Monday, November 3, 2003

What's On My Mind

A few things on my mind today . . ..
The situation in Iraq has gone from bad to worse. Sixteen American soldiers were killed over the weekend when their Chinook helicopter was fired upon by a commando with a shoulder-mounted missile launcher. George W. Bush barely acknowledged the tragedy in speeches yesterday and today, suggesting that he's even more clueless about the war than we previously thought. Actually, my perception is that Bush gets it; he just doesn't want it. It's time for someone in the administration to admit that the war in Iraq is not going well and a new course needs to be set instead of staying the old one.
Tomorrow is Election Day. In addition to the offices I mentioned last Thursday, the houses of the New Jersey state legislature are also up for grabs. Our very unpopular Democratic governor, Jim McGreevey, still has time to turn his own fortunes around by the time he's up for re-election in 2005. How he does so depends on the results of tomorrow's vote; the Democrats and the Republicans currently share control of an evenly divided state Senate, and control of the upper house could go either way. Well, wherever you live, whoever the candidates are - just remember to vote tomorrow.
I probably won't be blogging for a couple of days. Wednesday is my birthday - my thirty-eighth - so I'll be taking some time to celebrate. I'm going to Philadelphia for the day! :-)

No comments: