Wednesday, October 29, 2003

Art and Computer Viruses

*Groan*. . .Last night my computer antivirus system reported some irreparably infected files on my computer, so I had the system quarantine them. All six of them. Now I keep getting notices about this same virus on my computer and how I can't fix it. Okay, I get the point, now can I just get it quarantined and be done with it?
Oy vey. Anyway, I had a nice day today. I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, where I viewed the El Greco exhibit as well as a special show on British and French romantic paintings of the early nineteenth century. The El Greco exhibit showed the link between the Old Masters and the modern age with his inventive use of color and composition, and the Anglo-French exhibit showed an incredible kindred spirit in the development of Romantic painting in the two countries and how they offered new, more honest takes on landscapes - as well as the exploits of Lord Byron in Greece.
Sadly, I couldn't stay for too long and I had to keep an eye on my watch. That sounds pretty uncivilized. The Met is a wonderfully immense repository of great art; how can you see even a part of it - especially limited-run exhibits like the ones I just described - when time is short?

No comments: