Saturday, December 15, 2018

Correction and Update - December 15, 2018

In my November 20 post "Sunset For Florida Democrats - the Sequel,"  I compared 2018 Florida Democratic gubernatorial nominee and Tallahassee mayor Andrew Gillum to former Miami Beach mayor Philip Levine, who ran against Gillum in the 2018 Florida Democratic gubernatorial primary.   I wrote that Levine was at a disadvantage for another run for Florida governor in 2022 because "even being an incumbent mayor of Tallahassee is preferable to being a former mayor of Miami Beach."  Well - it turns out that Gillum served his last day as mayor of Tallahassee the day before I posted that.  I have reworded the original post to read "But even having been mayor of Tallahassee is preferable to being a former mayor of Miami Beach."
But that's like offering the better sedan for sale when everyone's buying SUVs.
I'm in no way trying to put Gillum down.  In fact, I think Floridians blew it by not electing him governor.  But I can see no way that an ex-mayor of a minor-league city can keep himself politically visible over the next four years.  Also, I had to add the word "former" in reference to Gillum's onetime position. 
Oh yeah, while I'm here . . . incoming Florida governor Ron DeSantis refuses to honor the spirit of the referendum that passed to give Floridians with felony records the right to vote.
Good luck, Florida.  As the climate change report Trump Republicans like DeSantis are denying makes clear, you're one hurricane away from sinking into the sea.

No comments: