Sunday, June 24, 2018

Trade War Escalation

After Trump imposed tariffs on steel and aluminum produced in the European Union, the EU retaliated by placing tariffs on American liquor and peanut butter, among other things.  Trump is now threatening to retaliate against that by imposing a whopping 20 percent tariff - up from 2.5 percent - on EU-built cars.  The European Union currently has a 10 percent tariff on U.S.-made cars, but that doesn't matter since American cars are about as popular in Europe as soccer is here.  in fact, I think soccer may even be more popular here than Chevrolets or Dodges are in the Old Country.  Since it sold Opel, GM has practically no presence there at all.
Well, as the owner of a European car - which is currently in the shop so my Volkswagen dealer can determine why it periodically stalls while idling - I'm not very happy about this.  I prefer European cars in general and German cars in particular because of their superior engineering, and one of the reasons I am a loyal Volkswagen customer is because it's the only inexpensive German brand available in the U.S.  (Of course, apart from Opel, there is no other inexpensive German brand, unless you count Ford of Europe.)  My 2012 Golf was in fact made in Wolfsburg.  Apart from the stalling problem I just mentioned, I haven't had a problem with it.  But even a VW that stalls is preferable to the best Ford or a Chevy, and Trump's tariffs are aimed at making European cars less available and less affordable.  I can't tolerate that.  His trade policy may force me to buy as my next car a car I don't really want.
And, before you make the inevitable point that many VW models sold in America are made in either Mexico or right here in the U.S., shut the hell up.  Not all VWs sold here are made on this continent, and what would I want with a Tennessee-built SUV or midsize sedan anyway?   And while the U.S. versions of the Golf and the Jetta are made in Mexico . . . watch out, Trump is getting ready to tear up NAFTA also.
If I have to give up my Golf for its stalling problem or for anything else, I might as well move to the city and take the subway.   

No comments: