Monday, February 12, 2018

Mirai and Mike

Figure skater Mirai Nagasu landed a triple axel in the 2018 Winter Olympic team-mixed skating event.  She's only the third woman, appropriately enough, to do so at the Winter Games. 
Why am I making a big deal over a Japanese figure skater?
Because she's not Japanese, you stupid Trump supporters.  She's an American.  An American of Japanese descent, yes, but an American just the same - she was born and raised in California.  Her parents are from Japan - they're immigrants.  And Martin O'Malley and I will be the first Irish Catholics to point this out for you.
Here's something else we'll point out for you.  She's the first American woman to land a triple axel at the Winter Olympics.  
Now, to my complaint about NBC's coverage of the PyeongChang Winter Games.  Who's this Mike Tirico upstart? 
Dammit, where's Costas?
I mean, seriously?  Bob Costas said no to the prime-time hosting gig?  Look, I can take change.  I can accept the fact that Alberto Tomba retired from skiing.  Ditto Julia Mancuso, the woman who's come closest to being my Winter Olympics crush (I had a thing for Kristi Yamaguchi until I found out she was a Republican).  And even though it took me forever to accept that Jim McKay had to retire from covering the Olympics, I moved on.  But Costas stepping aside now?  No, it's too soon.  I mean, come on - nobody does it like Costas! 
No wonder NBC's Olympic ratings are off.
Meanwhile, British sportscaster Rebecca Lowe is handling the daytime coverage for NBC.  That's going to offend the Trump voters.
Skiing just started after weather delays.  Expect at least one crash that will be played over and over and over for several days after.      

No comments: